The information below will help you understand the credit evaluation process and your credit evaluation report

Overview of How Credit Transfers to Purdue

Purdue will begin the transfer evaluation process when you are admitted and we have received your final, official transcripts. Credit must have been earned at a regionally accredited institution, and only courses with grades of C- or higher will be considered. Grades from courses taken at other institutions do not transfer and cannot replace a grade received for an equivalent Purdue course. 

Individual academic departments evaluate how courses taken at another institution will transfer to Purdue. If courses from other institutions are deemed to be equivalent to Purdue courses, your Purdue student record will reflect the credit. Academic departments also determine whether equivalent courses satisfy requirements of the plans of study for their majors. If a course was completed at a regionally accredited institution and is not equivalent to a Purdue course, it will transfer as "undistributed" credit and appear as 1XXXX, 2XXXX, etc. on your report. (You may consult with your academic advisor to determine whether any undistributed credit can be used to satisfy any of your degree requirements.)

Once your credit report is available, you can view it on your Purdue admission application portal. If you have questions about how a course transfers or whether/how it applies to your Purdue plan of study, you may contact your academic advisor. 

  • Graduate-level coursework will not transfer to an undergraduate record.

  • Credit is granted only once for duplicated courses.  This does not apply to repeatable courses.

  • Credit for courses without a letter grade (i.e., “pass,” “satisfactory” or “credit only”) will not transfer.

  • Only credit from a Purdue campus may be used to replace a Purdue grade, as determined by the academic department that administers the course. Consult with your Purdue academic advisor before enrolling in a course for this purpose.

  • Credit earned at other institutions based on institution-specific placement exams does not transfer to Purdue. See our transfer guidelines page for information about earning credit through standardized testing (AP, IB, A-Level, etc.)

  • Military veterans or active duty personnel with six months to one year of military service will receive four hours of undistributed credit. Those with at least one year will receive eight hours of undistributed credit. You must provide your DD-214 (or an LES, if still active duty) to earn credit.

  • Per Student Regulations, transfer credit earned 10 or more years before your Purdue entry term will not be accepted. Any exceptions to this rule must be approved on a case-by-case basis by an associate dean (or designee) within your college.

  • In the Krannert School of Management, upper division Economics, Management and Organizational Behavior & Human Resource Management courses that are 300 level or above transfer as undistributed credit only.

  • Purdue University School of Nursing does not accept credits from non-baccalaureate nursing programs. Please contact School of Nursing at 765-494-4008 if you have questions.

  • If course credit is awarded by a regionally accredited institution and you provide an official transcript from that institution, Purdue will evaluate the coursework for transfer credit regardless of how the course was taken (for example, online, dual/concurrent credit courses taught in a high school). This policy became effective July 1, 2014, and does not apply retroactively to dual, concurrent and online coursework completed before that date.