Environmental Studies (Pre)
Pre-Environmental Studies is for first-year students who need more information before choosing their environment-related program from the many that Purdue offers. Students explore their options before declaring a major at the end of their first year, while they also meet course requirements toward that degree.
Environment-Related Programs (Academic Department)
- Applied Meteorology and Climatology, Department of Agronomy, College of Agriculture
- Aquatic Sciences, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, College of Agriculture
- Ecology, Evolution, and Environmental Biology, Department of Biological Sciences, College of Science
- Environmental and Ecological Engineering, College of Engineering
- Environmental and Natural Resources Engineering, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Colleges of Agriculture and Engineering
- Environmental Geosciences, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences, College of Science
- Environmental Health Sciences, College of Health and Human Sciences
- Forestry, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, College of Agriculture
- Natural Resources and Environmental Science, College of Agriculture
- Occupational Health Science (Industrial Hygiene), College of Health and Human Sciences
- Plant Science, Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, College of Agriculture
- Soil and Water Science, Department of Agronomy, College of Agriculture
- Wildlife, Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, College of Agriculture
The environmental studies program of study is expected to:
- Allow undecided students interested in some aspect of science and the environment to take courses and explore specific departmental programs during their first year before selecting a departmental major.
- Satisfy minimum first-year course requirements in various environmental science-related programs offered in the colleges of Agriculture, Engineering, Science, and Health and Human Sciences.
- Provide activities that expose students to different fields of environmental study and opportunities.
Plan of Study
Related Career Interests
Careers in Environmental Studies (Pre)
See career information for individual environmental programs.
Transfer to Environmental Studies (Pre)
Purdue admits to individual majors. Transfer students must meet Purdue's overall transfer criteria, as well as any major-specific requirements. Before you apply, check the closed programs page to confirm this major is open to transfer students. If it is, refer to the information below for major-specific transfer criteria.
Minimum GPA: 2.5
Contact InformationLinda Prokopy and Laura Bowling