Transfer Credit to Purdue

You may transfer an unlimited number of college credits to Purdue but must earn at least 32 Purdue credits to earn a degree from the University. Below is information about how credit transfers to Purdue.

Show All | Hide All

Detailed information about Purdue's transfer credit policies is available on the Transfer Credit Guidelines web page.

Following admission, Purdue's Credit Evaluation Department will evaluate your official college transcripts for possible transfer credit. To be transferable, coursework must meet the following criteria:

How credit transfers will be based on whether the course is equivalent to a Purdue course.

When you register for Purdue courses, your academic advisor will work with you to determine whether your transfer credit satisfies specific curriculum requirements for your plan of study.

There is no limit on the number of credits you can transfer to Purdue. However, to receive a Purdue degree, you must complete at least 32 Purdue credit hours of upper-division courses as part of the requirements for the plan of study. Only credit transfers; grades do not.

Military Experience

You can receive college credit for active duty military service by submitting a copy of your DD214 (or an LES, if still on active duty), preferably with you application for admission. This copy isn't required for admission evaluation but is necessary for credit consideration and consideration for other benefits such as reduced fees based on military service. Military training programs are not evaluated for transfer credit, but credit-by-exam programs such as CLEP (College Board), DSST, or UExcel (Excelsior College) may be eligible for credit.

Submitting Transcripts
  • Only official transcripts will be accepted for credit evaluation purposes. We do not accept transcripts that have been scanned or emailed.

  • Check with your university's registrar or records office about sending official transcripts to Purdue electronically (Parchment/Avow or National Student Clearinghouse, for example).

  • Use for electronic transcript services that require a recipient email address.

  • Official paper transcripts may be mailed to:

    Purdue University
    Office of Admissions
    Schleman Hall of Student Services
    475 Stadium Mall Drive
    West Lafayette, IN 47907
    (765) 494-1776
  • Hand-delivered transcripts will be accepted if they are in sealed envelopes using the issuing institution's stationery.

Authorized Accrediting Organizations

MSA—Middle States Association of Colleges & Schools

NWCCU—Northwest Commission on Colleges & Universities

NCA-HLC—North Central Association of Colleges & Schools

NEASC-CIHE—New England Association of Schools & Colleges

SACS—Southern Association of Colleges & Schools

WASC-ACCJU Western Association of Schools & Colleges for Community & Junior Colleges

WASC-ACSCU-Western Association of Schools & Colleges for Senior Colleges & Universities 

Questions About Transfer Credit?


Phone: 765-494-1776 Hearing impaired: 800-743-3333

Purdue Transfer Credit Course Equivalency Guide – The most current resource for Purdue course equivalencies from U.S. and international institutions.

The College Board Advanced Placement Program (AP) allows students to establish college credit from results of tests taken at the completion of any high school AP course.

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is a group of standardized tests that allow students to earn credit based on knowledge they've acquired through experience or independent study. CLEP exams may not be used in place of coursework required for admission to Purdue. The Purdue Testing Center offers CLEP exams to current Purdue students by appointment.

All AP and CLEP scores must be sent to Purdue directly from the testing service.  Student score reports in paper or electronic format will not be accepted.

If you participate in the IB Program you can earn credit by receiving scores of 5-7 on some courses. Generally, Purdue grants credit only for Higher Level IB courses.

If you complete A-Level exams you may earn credit for receiving A or B scores on some exams. Generally, Purdue grants credit only for A-Level, not AS-Level.

You can earn advanced credit through Purdue departmental proficiency examinations. Purdue's advanced credit exams are given during the Summer Transition, Advising, and Registration (STAR) program and just before classes begin. If you attend STAR, you will receive information about the STAR testing schedule. Or you may arrange for testing through the Purdue Testing Center.

Purdue Testing Center
Schleman Hall of Student Services, Room B42
(765) 494-7690

You can earn credit by completing exams through the DSST Program.

You can earn credit by completing proficiency exams offered through the UExcel Program offered by Excelsior College.

You can earn credit by completing the proficiency-based assessment through the National Examinations in World Languages (NEWL). 

Indiana public colleges and universities, in collaboration with the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, have adopted a core library of courses transferable among Indiana's public institutions and have established a common general education core curriculum, effective with coursework taken since fall 2013. In addition, Purdue has several articulation (transfer) agreements with individual institutions.

Purdue also has a Core Curriculum requirement, a set of common learning outcomes required of all undergraduate students. In some cases, transfer courses may be used to satisfy specific learning outcomes.

In collaboration with state institutions in Indiana, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education (ICHE) has established this program so that students in selected majors may complete an associate’s degree at an Indiana community college and transfer into a related field at a four-year public university in Indiana where credits earned for the associate’s degree will apply toward the bachelor’s degree. To take advantage of this program at Purdue, students must meet established admission criteria for the respective major, some of which are highly competitive or not available to transfer students because of popularity and limited capacity. For more information about the majors the state has selected for this program, view "Single Articulation Pathways" on this ICHE web page. For information about the implementation of this program at Purdue and the related Purdue majors, contact

Purdue University Office of Admissions, 475 Stadium Mall Dr., West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-1776, Hearing impaired only: 1-800-743-3333

© 2015 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by the Office of Admissions

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Privacy Policy. Please contact the Office of Admissions at 765-494-1776 and/or