Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences

College of Health and Human Sciences

The Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) offers an undergraduate major focusing on the research, evaluation, and treatment of human communication and its disorders.  Students in SLHS gain a firm foundation for future graduate studies in audiology, speech-language pathology, and many other fields, as well as a well-rounded education that prepares them for life. Lyles Porter Hall, home of SLHS, contains the largest collection of soundproof booths in North America, a specialized preschool, research laboratories and clinical space where undergraduate students, graduate students, and clinical faculty in SLHS see approximately 2,000 clients annually.

The major provides students with the foundational, prerequisite courses needed to enter graduate programs in speech-language pathology or audiology, including advanced coursework in speech science, hearing science, developmental and acquired speech and language disorders, audiological assessment and rehabilitation, and clinical methods. The major also provides students the opportunity to pursue specialized research interests within the field of communication sciences and disorders. The major is suitable for students seeking a career as a clinical speech-language pathologist or audiologist, or as an academic or industrial research scientist in communication sciences and disorders. 

Purdue’s graduate programs in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology are consistently ranked in the top 5.

Watch these videos to learn more about SLHS at Purdue.

Take a virtual tour of Lyles-Porter Hall.

Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences Website

Plan of Study


Related Career Interests


Science and Research

Careers in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences

Typically, 95% of graduates who apply to professional/graduate schools earn a spot and 93% of graduates who decide to enter the workforce earn a position.

  • Speech-language pathologist (SLP) - treats disorders such as stuttering, delayed language development, aphasia, and voice articulation problems. SLPs work in a variety of settings, including private practice, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, and school systems. Employment as an SLP requires completion of a master’s degree, supervised professional experience, and passing a national examination.
  • Audiologist (AUD) - specializes in the prevention, assessment, and rehabilitation of hearing disorders. An Audiologist evaluates patients, provides communication training, and dispenses hearing aids and other devices in settings such as private practice, hospitals, nursing homes, or for physicians and corporations. Employment as an AUD requires completion of a four-year doctoral degree, including an internship, and passing national examination.
  • Speech scientist - researches processes involved in normal and impaired speech production and perception.
  • Hearing scientist - investigates mechanisms of normal and impaired hearing.
  • Language scientist (linguist) - explores aspects of language structure, both spoken and signed.
Transfer to Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
Contact Information